Thursday, December 16, 2010

Preparation



                                   My beautiful bike before adding all the heavy and ugly touring equipment.


The old tech savvy Chris has now got his blog going (with a little ok a lot of help from Alison B's expertise) I will try to keep this blog going during my adventure. These are some pics and vids of the preparation for Baja. It's Dec 16th as I write this,  The first video is me showing off my new knobbly tires that Jason Thoms from The Good Times Centre set me up with for Baja (not to mention the BMW bike it's a F800GS, she's a beauty). 

 I delivered the bike to Caprara Honda Dec 14th (I hate to think of the nick name my brother would come up with) in Watertown N.Y. and it is now in transit to Victory BMW Chandler Arizona. I fly out the 29th from Ottawa to Phoenix and will pick up the bike hopefully the 30th December. After re-assembling the bike, camp that night somewhere to test out equipement then head it to Baja to spend a month in the saddle. I must admit I am a little nervous but after my friend Tim Poirier said "what could possibly go wrong" I have stopped worrying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(not) April is a true trooper being very supportive and positive not to mention looking after the beautiful Beaucerons and the Pook. Sometimes I think maybe I shouldn't go (scaredy cat) but she always gets me back on track, hmmmmmmm. I must admit I think I might be a little difficult to live with at this time!!!

                                                Big tank install (36 luvly litres instead of the stock 16)



Whadya mean you got to disassemble the whole bike! Touratech didn't mention this when I bought the tank!


Working on the bike prepping it for the trip,

                                                                   Good to go, lets test her out.








Testing out big tank install and equipment before crating/shipping. It was a little nippy! the bike was great but feels sort of like riding an elephant now.


Lets make that a whale on second thoughts. I drove it through some deep gravel, what a pig no fun, better keep away from deep sand.  I'm already looking forward to taking off the big tank not to mention the bags etc! Now I know why BMW don't offer this as an option, the bikes way more fun without the extra weight but unfortunately necessary for a trip such as this. 




The boys helped crating the bike up,




 My life in a box for a month (a Harley box) (thanks John K. H.of.O). See you Beebum W in 14 days. (just after Christmas)

1 comment:

  1. "This is it. There is no next." I love it that you're doing this. Too bad about the dogs having to live in the garden shed for the next month. (Not Pook)

    ReplyDelete